Highwood Appearance Review Committee to consider variance request
The Highwood Appearance Review Committee will consider a variance request for a garbage-area enclosure and sign at its next meeting, 7 p.m. today at Highwood City Hall, 17 Highwood Ave.
"The Committee advises the City Council on future growth and development issues that affect the city. The committee reviews and makes recommendations to the council on comprehensive plan items, redevelopment plans, changes in development regulations, economic development master plans, capital improvement plans, public works, zoning, planning, and appearance review."
CITY OF HIGHWOOD
APPEARANCE REVIEW COMMITTEE
Meeting of Tuesday, May 24, 2016
7:00 p.m. Meeting
at Highwood City Hall – Building Dept.
17 Highwood Avenue-Highwood, Illinois
APPEARANCE REVIEW COMMITTEE MEETING
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. ROLL CALL
III. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A. May 10, 2016
III. SCHEDULED BUSINESS
a. 210 Restaurant – 210 Green Bay Rd – Refuse Enclosure and Sign
IV. SCHEDULING OF FUTURE WORKSHOPS/MEETINGS/PUBLIC HEARINGS
V. OTHER BUSINESS FROM THE ARC AND CITY STAFF
a. Old Business
b. New Business:
CITY OF HIGHWOOD – APPEARANCE REVIEW COMMITTEE
John Cioni (Secretary)
Paul Mocogni (Chairman)
APPEARANCE REVIEW COMMITTEE
Meeting Minutes For May 10, 2016
Committee Members present: Paul Mocogni, Joe Davis, Kathy Scopelliti, Aaron Peaslee
Committee Members absent: John Cioni
City staff present: Adrian Marquez
Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm
Approval of Minutes:
• Minutes from April 26, 2016 were presented for approval; motion to accept by Scopelliti, seconded by Peaslee. Motion carried with all in favor.
1. The Silk Thumb – 6 Walker Avenue. Julie Brugioni, owner, presented new plans for wall signs according to council direction. Wall sign on Lakeview Avenue would be 24 in. x 84 in. white alumacorr panel mounted to 2 x 4 wood brackets directly to stone wall. Sign will display business name, logo and short list of services. Lettering would be approximately 2 inches tall. Wall sign on Walker Avenue would be approximately 30 in. x 108 in. with 11-13 inch white acrylic lettering and green metal logoinstalleddirectly into brick wall. A motion to accept wall signs as presented was made by Scopelliti and seconded by Peaslee. Motion carried with all in favor.
The signage requested required two variances:
According to item 10-3-6-7-B-1a, A listing of goods and services is not permitted. After discussion, the ARC recommended that a variance be granted under 10-3-9-A1a(3), That the granting of approval for this proposed or existing sign is consistent with the overall purpose of this chapter. A motion to recommend a variance was made by Scopelliti and seconded by Peaslee. Motion carried with all in favor.
According to item 10-3-6-7-B-2b(2)c, Wall signs identifying the business use of a premises shall be permitted upon one of the facades as set forth in B2b of this section unless a variance is obtained. After discussion, the ARC recommended that a variance be granted under 10-3-9-A1a(4), That due to unique circumstances or safety considerations, the proposed or existing sign is aesthetically consistent with the environment, and because of these circumstances or considerations, it is necessary that a variation be granted. A motion to recommend a variance was made by Peaslee and seconded by Scopelliti. Motion carried with all in favor.
2. Classic Tile: Representative did not appear at the meeting.
3. 210 Restaurant, 210 Green Bay Road. Steve Goldstein, owner, appeared to request relocation of his garbage dumpster with cedar enclosure as well as a restaurant parking sign to be attached to the south side of new enclosure. After discussion it became clear that the applicant did not have all the information necessary for ARC consideration. He will return to the next meeting with elevation plans, materials, and adjusted parking sign rendering.
4. Mural Request: 340 Green Bay Road (Javier’s Garage). Illyse StronginBombicino, event promoter, presented plans to repaint the west wall in a white color and add the “Celebrate Highwood” logo as well as a logo for the upcoming Redhead Days event. A small, 18”x8” Mutual Hardware sponsor logo will be added to the lower north corner of wall. The ARC requested some minor exterior improvements, including, removal of the blue fan tarp and repainting of the north wall. Applicant will make an attempt to do this additional maintenance when the mural is painted. The mural will be hand-painted by artist, Kevin Loesch. After discussion, a motion was made by Scopelliti and seconded by Peaslee. With all in favor, motion passed. With no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:48. Motion to adjourn was made by Scopelliti, seconded by Peaslee.
Organizations in this Story
17 Highwood Ave
Highwood, IL - 60040