Adlai E Stevenson High School District 125 issued the following announcement on Sept. 17.
The first orchestra concert of the 2019-20 school year will be held Thursday, Sept. 26 in the Performing Arts Center. The Concert and Symphonic Orchestras will perform at 6 p.m., followed by the Advanced Concert and Patriot Orchestras at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free.
Among the highlights will be Patriot Orchestra performances of Mozart’s Concerto in Bb for Bassoon K. 191, featuring senior soloist Andrew Zhuang, and of Tchaikovsky’s Serenade for String Orchestra, Op. 48.
Here is the evening’s repertoire:
Concert Orchestra - 6 p.m.
- Serenade for String Orchestra (Norman Leyden, 1917-2014)
- Scarborough Fair Fantasy (Elaine Fine, b. 1959)
- Sinfonia No. 9 in C (Felix Mendelssohn, 1809-1847)
- Choreography, Three Dances for String Orchestra (Norman Dello Joio, 1913-2008)
- Hoe Down from “Rodeo” for String Orchestra (Aaron Copland, 1900-1990)
- Concerto Bb for Bassoon K. 191 (W.A. Mozart, 1756-1791)
- Sospiri, Adagio for String Orchestra, Op. 70 (Edward Elgar, 1857-1934)
- Serenade for String Orchestra, Op. 48 (Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky, 1840-1893)
Source: Adlai E Stevenson High School District 125