Village of Cary Village Board met July 18
Village of Cary Village Board met July 18.
Here is the minutes as provided by the board:
I. Call to Order
This meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Mayor Kownick.
II. Roll Call
Present: Mayor Kownick and Trustees Betz, Covelli, Weinhammer, Kraus, McAlpine and Cosler.
Others present included Village Administrator Rife, Village Clerk Rhodes, Community Development Director Simmons, Public Works Assistant Director Walsh, Financial Consultant Du Charme, Police Chief Finlon, Village Attorney Simon and members of the audience per the sign-in sheet.
III. Pledge of Allegiance
Mayor Kownick led in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.
IV. Open Forum
There being no comments from the public, Mayor Kownick closed Open Forum at 6:03 p.m.
V. Mayor's Report
1. Mayor Kownick recognized Nancy Bragg for her 10 Years of Service as Village Clerk
2. Mayor Kownick shared with the Village Board that the Village of Cary was awarded "One of the
top 50 safest places to live in Illinois" by SafeWise.
VI. Consent Agenda
1. Consider for Approval the Warrant Dated 07/18/2017
2. Consider for Approval Minutes of the June 20, 2017 Village Board Meeting
3. Consider for Approval Minutes of the June 20, 2017 Committee of the Whole Meeting
4. Consider for Approval an Ordinance Waiving the Restrictions of Section 5.20 (Loudspeakers & Amplifiers) of the Cary Code of Ordinances for a Festival at SS. Peter and Paul Church Located at 410 N. First Street
5. Consider for Approval an Ordinance Granting a Variation to Allow a Six Foot Fence in the Rear and Side Yards for the New Haven Townhomes Condominium Association
6. Consider for Approval a Resolution Authorizing Certain Closed Session Meeting Minutes Not for Release and Authorizing the Village Clerk to Make Certain Closed Session Meeting Minutes Available for Public Inspection as Part of the Semi-Annual Review of Closed Session Minutes
7. Consider for Approval a Resolution Approving Baxter & Woodman (Crystal Lake, Illinois), Christopher B. Burke Engineering, Ltd. (Rosemont, Illinois), H R Green (McHenry, Illinois), and Strand Associates (Joliet, Illinois) as the Village's On-Call Engineering Services Consultants Through April 30, 2019, with an Optional Two (2) Year Extension.
8. Consider for Approval a Resolution Authorizing the Purchase of One (1) 2017 John Deere 310 SL Backhoe Loader from West Side Tractor Sales, Rockford, Illinois, Through the National Joint Powers Alliance Cooperative Purchasing Contract #032515-JDC in the Amount of $105,646.22.
9. Consider for Approval a Resolution Authorizing the Purchase of One (1) 2017 2770 T4 Bobcat SkidSteer Loader from Atlas Bobcat in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, Through the National Joint Powers Alliance Cooperative Purchasing Contract #042815-CEC in the Amount of $58,037.00
10. Consider for Approval a Resolution Awarding the 2017 Fall Parkway Tree Replacement Program Bid Award
11. Consider for Approval a Resolution Authorizing the Purchase of Two (2) Ford F-250 %-Ton Pickup Trucks Through the State of Illinois Central Management Services Joint Purchasing Contract from Landmark Ford, Springfield, Illinois, in the Amount of $48,046.00
12. Consider for Approval an Ordinance Granting Approval of a Final Plat of Subdivision for the Sage 2nd Subdivision
Motion: Trustee Kraus moved, seconded by Trustee McAlpine to approve Consent Agenda items #1-#12
Ayes: Betz, Cosler, Covelli, Kraus, McAlpine, Weinhammer Nays: None
VII. Items for Separate Action
1. Discussion Regarding the Annual Status Report from Lafarge Aggregates/Meyer Material
Director Simmons presented an update of the work being completed at the Lafarge/Meyer site. Mr. Randi Wille, representative from Lafarge Aggregates / Meyer Material, reviewed a history of the property and the Annual Status Report of the property. Mr. Wille stated the completion of mining is on schedule for December 2017 with restoration finalized by June 2018.
2. Consider for Approval a Resolution Extending an Existing Agreement with Lauterbach & Amen, LLP for Financial Services
Administrator Rife provided an overview of the restructured Finance Department and reviewed the cost savings to the Village after the restructuring. Mr. Ron Amen, partner at Lauterbach & Amen, LLP provided an overview of the firm.
Motion: Trustee McAlpine, seconded by Trustee Betz to approve the resolution authorizing an extension of the financial services agreement with Lauterbach & Amen, LLP thorough July 31, 2018 in the annual amount of $368,224 for personnel services and S40,000 for software and associated services for a total contract amount of $408,224.
Ayes: Betz, Cosler, Covelli, McAlpine, Weinhammer
3. Consider for Approval Mayoral Appointments to the Police Pension Board, The Board of Zoning, Planning and Appeals and Police Commission.
Mayor Kownick reviewed the Selected advisory board appointments and outlined his position for moving forward with the existing appointees.
Trustee Cosler made a motion to table the appointments.
Trustee McAlpine reviewed examples from other municipalities regarding the Mayor's responsibility for appointments. Trustee McAlpine discussed the Mayor's executive responsibility to select and present individuals to the Village Board.
Trustee Weinhammer stated that she believes that mayoral appointments should be an open process and the public allowed to participate and apply for the positions. Trustee Covelli agrees the process should be open to the public,
Mayor Kownick stated he believes the appointments presented are qualified and should continue in the positions they now serve.
Motion: Trustee Cosler, seconded by Trustee Cowelli, to Table the Approval of Mayoral Appointments to the Police Pension Board.
Ayes: Cosler, Covelli, Weinhammer Nays: Betz, Kraus, McAlpine, Kownick Abstain: None
Motion to Table Fails
Approval of the appointment of Christopher Spoerl to the Police Pension Board.
Ayes: Betz, Cosler, Kraus, McAlpine
Nays: Weinhammer, Covelli
Motion: Trustee McAlpine, seconded by Trustee Betz to approve the appointment of Patrick Jasper to the Board of Zoning, Planning and Appeals
Ayes: Betz, McAlpine Nays: Weinhammer, Covelli, Cosler, Kraus Abstain: None
Motion: Trustee McAlpine, seconded by Trustee Betz to approve the appointment of Dori Chianakas to the Police Commission Board.
Ayes: Betz, McAlpine Nays: Weinhammer, Covelli, Cosler Abstain: Kraus
VIII. Administrator's Report
Administrator Rife and Police Chief Finlon provided an update on the significant rainfall the Village has received and actions the Village has taken.
The Police Department will hosta National Night Out event on August 1, 2017 from 6:30-8:30 pm in Downtown Cary.
IX. Department Head Reports
X. Future Agenda Items and Discussion by Village Board
Trustee McAlpine suggested the Board receive periodic updates from other local taxing bodies.
Trustee Kraus asked if ZPA meetings are live streamed. Administrator Rife stated the meetings are taped and the link is available to view on the Village's YouTube channel.
Trustee Weinhammer questioned if Cary collects a fee for solicitor permits. Chief Finlon stated fees are not currently charged for Solicitor permits. The Village Board agreed to hold this discussion at a future meeting.
There being no further items to discuss, a Motion was made to adjourn the meeting at 7:20 pm
Motion: Trustee Kraus
Second: Trustee Cosler
The Voice Vote noted all ayes and the motion carried.