GURNEE PARK DISTRICT: Swim Tips For Your Freestyle
Gurnee Park District issued the following announcement on Oct. 3.
Learn from Aquatic Manager, Kara Moss. Swimming laps or taking lessons? Keep these tips in mind when working on your freestyle.
You know swimming is a good for you! Having proper form while taking swim lessons or working out reduces the risk of injury. Swimming builds strength and endurance while toning muscles. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when working on your freestyle.
- Kick from your hips more than your knees
- Rotate your hips while kicking
- Freestyle kick is NOT fast unless you are rotating your body
- Head looking at a 45 degree angle (slightly in front of you)
- Shoulders and hips move at the same time
- When you hand reaches in the water, that's the side of your body that should be pointed towards the ground
- Reach out in front of you (almost as far as you can) and pull down with your arm slightly bent
- Follow through until you hit your hips
- Elbows should come out first
Source: Gurnee Park District