Village of Cary Village Board met March 20.
Village of Cary Village Board met March 20.
Here is the minutes provided by the Board:
I.Call to Order This meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Mayor Kownick.
II. Roll Call
Present: Mayor Kownick and Trustees Covelli, Betz, Kraus, McAlpine and Cosler
Absent: Trustee Weinhammer
Others present included Village Administrator Rife, Community Development Director Simmons, Police Chief Finlon, Public Works Director Morimoto, Management Analyst Sage, Village Attorney Tappendorf and members of the audience per the sign-in sheet.
III. Pledge of Allegiance
Mayor Kownick led in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.
IV. Open Forum
There being no comments from the public, Mayor Kownick closed Open Forum at 6:01 p.m.
V. Mayor's Report
Mayor Kownick recognized Josh Victor, Police Department, on his 10-year employment anniversary.
Mayor Kownick recognized Maria Johnson, Finance/Customer Service, on her 10-year employment anniversary.
VI. Trustee Reports
VII. Consent Agenda
1. Consider for Approval the Warrant Dated March 20, 2018
2. Consider for Approval Minutes of the March 6, 2018 Village Board Meeting
3. Consider for Approval Minutes of the March 6, 2018 Committee of the Whole Meeting
4. Consider for Approval the sale of One Cary Cemetery Burial Plot
5. Consider for Approval the Closure of Portions of Wulff Street, West Main Street, School Street and Krenz Avenue on April 21st, 2018 for the Cary Grove Youth Baseball and Softball Annual Opening Day Parade from Approximately 11:45 a.m. Until the End of the Parade as Determined by the Cary Police Department
6. Consider for Approval an Ordinance Amending Village Ordinance Title 5 - Business Taxes, Licenses and Regulations, Chapter 5.28- Solicitors, Section 5.28.090 – Time Limit on Soliciting
7. Consider for Approval a Resolution Approving a One Year Joint Bid Contract with Globe Construction of Addison, Illinois, Through the McHenry County Municipal Partnering Initiative for the 2018 Curb & Sidewalk Replacement Program in an Amount Not to Exceed $40,000.00 in FY2018-2019 with up to Two (2) Optional One Year Extensions (R18-03-03)
8. Consider for Approval a Resolution Approving the Contract for the 2018 McHenry County Municipal Partnering Initiative Street Sweeping Services Joint Bid with TKG, Environmental, Waukegan, Illinois, and Authorize the Village Administrator to Execute a Contract in an Amount Not to Exceed $47,976.00 in FY2018-2019 (R18-03-04)
9. Consider for Approval and Ordinance Granting a Conditional Use for a Solar Energy System for the Property Located at 880 Feinberg Drive (018-03-02)
Motion: Trustee McAlpine moved, seconded by Trustee Kraus to approve Consent Agenda Items #1 - #5 and #7 - #9.
Ayes: Betz, Cosler, Covelli, Kraus, McAlpine
VIII. Items for Separate Action
1. Consider for Approval an Ordinance Amending Village Ordinance Title 5 – Business Taxes, Licenses and Regulations, Chapter 5.28 – Solicitors, Section 5.28.090 - Time Limit on Soliciting (Consent Item #6)
Motion: Trustee Cosler moved, seconded by Trustee Covelli to approve an Ordinance Amending Village Ordinance Title 5 - Business Taxes, Licenses and Regulations, Chapter 5.28 – Solicitors, Section 5.28.090 - Time Limit on Soliciting. (Consent Item #6)
Trustee McAlpine stated she has received feedback from the business community that a 5:00 p.m. end time for solicitors would be restrictive for them to grow their businesses. Trustee McAlpine stated that a 5:00 p.m. end time would also apply to local charitable organizations, such as Girl Scouts or school groups that go door-to-door for fundraisers. Trustee McAlpine stated that residents who do not wish solicitors to knock on their door have the option of posting a 'No Soliciting' sticker on their front door or window. Trustee McAlpine stated she is open to placing restrictions on soliciting hours during winter months when daylight hours are shorter so residents do not have solicitors knocking on their doors after dark.
Trustee Betz stated she supported restricting soliciting hours during the winter months.
Trustee Covelli stated she supported the ordinance as presented with the 5:00 p.m. end time.
Trustees Kraus and Cosler support a 5:00 p.m. end time.
Trustee McAlpine stated she would like to amend the motion regarding the changes to the solicitor ordinance.
Mayor Kownick entertained a motion to amend the proposed changes to the solicitor ordinance to reflect a 6:00 p.m. end time during the months of March through November, and an end time of 5:00 p.m. during the months of December through February. So moved by Trustee McAlpine, seconded by Trustee Betz.
Ayes: McAlpine, Betz
Nays: Covelli, Kraus, Cosler
Motion: Trustee Cosler moved, seconded by Trustee Covelli to approve an Ordinance Amending Village Ordinance Title 5 – Business Taxes, Licenses and Regulations, Chapter 5.28 – Solicitors, Section 5.28.090 - Time Limit on Soliciting. (Consent Item #6)
Ayes: Cosler, Covelli, Kraus
Nays: McAlpine, Betz, Kownick
2. Consider for Approval the Appointment of Klein, Thorpe & Jenkins, LTD as Village Attorney
Motion: Trustee McAlpine moved, seconded by Trustee Betz to approve the Appointment of Klein,
Thorpe & Jenkins, LTD as Village Attorney.
Mayor Kownick provided background on the process to identify the final candidates for Village Attorney.
Mayor Kownick read an email from Trustee Weinhammer that provided her thoughts on the Village Attorney appointment.
Mayor Kownick reiterated his support for Klein, Thorpe & Jenkins to serve as Village Attorney.
Trustee Cosler stated he was not comfortable with how Trustee Weinhammer's email was presented during the meeting.
Ayes: Betz, Covelli, McAlpine, Kownick
Nays: Kraus, Cosler
IX. Administrator's Report
Administrator Rife stated the FY2018-2019 budget will be considered at the April 3, 2018 for final approval.
X. Department Head Reports
Director Morimoto stated staff will be removing the cemetery fence and monitoring pedestrian activity. Director Morimoto stated additional Spring Clean Up notifications will be forthcoming to residents.
XI. Future Agenda Items and Discussion by Village Board
There being no further items to discuss, a Motion was made to adjourn the meeting at 7:04 p.m.
Motion: Trustee Kraus
Second: Trustee McAlpine
The Voice Vote noted all ayes and the motion carried.